To call or video chat with your friends and family while receiving care at Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), follow the instructions below.Back to top
Step 1: Connect to Wi-Fi
Free Wi-Fi is available in all MSK facilities. To connect on your mobile device or tablet, go to Settings, tap Wi-Fi, and connect to the MSK_Guest network.Back to top
Step 2: Select an App
You may already have a video chat app installed on your smartphone, tablet, or computer with a camera. First, check your device for Facetime or Google Duo. If you don’t have these apps on your device, follow the instructions below to download Google Duo or WhatsApp. They both let you call, text, and video chat with people in the U.S. and other countries. Be sure to check with your loved ones to see which video chat apps they use so you can decide which one to download. The person you are trying to contact must have the same app.
- Visit duo.google.com or whatsapp.com
- Download the app onto your Android device, iPhone, or laptop (Mac or Windows PC)
- Open the app and follow the prompts to set up Google Duo or WhatsApp
Step 3: Start a Video Chat
Based on the app you chose, follow the instructions below to start a video chat.
- Open the app. Tap the “+” button in the upper right corner and start typing the name of the person you want to contact. When it comes up, select it.
- If you don’t have the person’s contact information saved in your contacts, type in their phone number or email address then tap the “return” button.
- Once your contact is in the “to” field, tap the video icon to start the video chat.
Google Duo (Android)
- Open the app. Tap “search contacts or dial” and type in the name or phone number of the person you want to contact. When it comes up, select it.
- Once the name of the person you want to contact appears, you have the option to select voice, video, or message.
- If you see “invite” when you select the person you’re trying to contact, that means they don’t have Google Duo. Ask them to download Google Duo to their device and try again.
To video chat or make a call
- Open the app. Create a chat with the person you want to video chat with by tapping the “Chats” button on the navigation bar.
- Click the icon on the top right of your screen. Then select or type in the person’s name that you are trying to contact.
- Once the chat is created, click