Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) is an internationally recognized, premier cancer center with an exceptional record of accomplishments in translational research to improve cancer therapy. MSK is committed to increasing diversity in the field of science both in education and recruitment at all levels.
Graduate and medical degree-granting programs often request that applicants demonstrate experience in a research setting. One way to gain research experience is through a laboratory internship or to work as a research assistant. The Research Technician Pipeline (ResTeP) program is intended to support the career development of undergraduate students from backgrounds underrepresented in the sciences by offering a gap year of research training in an MSK lab.
The ResTeP program is currently open to seniors from Hunter College, Brooklyn College and the City College of New York (CCNY) in New York City and offers introductory coursework in cancer biology and hands-on training in basic laboratory skills to supplement their undergraduate science education. Students will also complete lab-specific certifications relevant to the research technician position of their mentor lab. With the help of our partner, Cancer Research Institute (CRI), we will support up to eight ResTeP trainees in 2021 and 2022.
- Intense paid internship for graduating seniors (BA/BS) during Spring semester of senior year
- Time commitment: approximately 10-12 hours per week
5 Program Components:
- Introduction to Cancer Biology: lectures from faculty and trainees at MSK on fundamental concepts relating to cancer biology and mechanism-based therapy
- Laboratory Skills and Training: didactic and hands on training in basic laboratory skills, supplementing their undergraduate science education
- Certification and Training Modules: including animal training, biosafety courses, certificate of fitness, regulatory 101 -HSP and GCP and clinical trial and translational research 101.
- Lab Administration: emphasis is placed on introduction to cancer research, laboratory duties to include understanding the cancer research culture, role and responsibilities
- Career development: seminars and guidance in applying for post-graduation technician positions (MSK/HOPP), guidance re: graduate and medical school application process, including financial aid and financing a medical school education.
Upon successfully completing their semester internship, students will be given the opportunity to apply for technician roles within HOPP and other MSK laboratories.