- Do I need to apply for the program every year, even if I was accepted previously?
- Can my lab project be used for competition in national science contests?
- Who is eligible for the HOPP Student Summer Program?
- May I participate in the program for a shorter time period?
- If I am accepted, how long will I have to confirm that I will participate in the HOPP Summer Student Program?
- Can I mail in my application?
- May I contact the faculty member of a particular project?
- Who should write recommendation letters for me?
- Where are you located? Do you provide housing and/or transportation?
- What are the dates and hours of the program?
- Whom should I contact if my parent or teacher has further questions?
Yes, you must formally apply each and every year. The program is not set up for long-term mentorship.Back to top
The internship in the program is only for eight weeks. We cannot guarantee that the faculty mentor will agree to host the student for longer than the 8-week commitment.Back to top
All high-school Freshmen to high-school Seniors are eligible to apply. In addition, all participants must provide employment eligibility verification; non-US citizens must submit valid work authorization documentation once accepted to the program.Back to top
Participants are required to complete the full eight weeks of the program onsite through the end of the last day. There are no exceptions. Students unable to adhere to these requirements should not apply. If you don’t complete the full eight weeks, you will not receive a stipend.Back to top
5. If I am accepted, how long will I have to confirm that I will participate in the HOPP Summer Student Program?
After you are accepted, you are expected to confirm your participation in the program within three days of the notification. If you don’t, you will forfeit your spot in the program.Back to top
No. All parts of the application (including recommendation letters) must be submitted in a PDF format and submitted through our online application system. If you have issues uploading your application, fax your documentation to 646-227-7104 or contact [email protected].Back to top
Applicants are not permitted to contact individual faculty members during the application process. If you don’t abide by this policy, you will be disqualified from consideration.Back to top
In order for your application to be reviewed, you must have 2 strong recommendation letters from an academic advisor or scientific advisor. The letter should come from someone who can attest to your knowledge, interest, and strength in science, chemistry, and/or biology. Recommendation letters from family or friends will not be accepted.Back to top
All student research will be conducted on the Main Campus of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center on the Upper East Side in Manhattan. We do not provide housing and/or transportation. Should you be accepted into the program, you are responsible for arriving here.Back to top
Typically, the program runs from the end of June to mid-August. It is a full-time internship, so students are expected to commit to 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday. Students hours vary depending on the mentor’s schedule but usually are either 9AM-5PM or 10AM-6PM.
*Please note due to COVID-19 restrictions this schedule is subject to change.Back to top
Log off Feature: Please use the log-off button anytime you wish to navigate away from the site. Remember that you are able to start, save, and come back to your application at any time. Please remember to log off when you are away from your computer to protect your private information.
System Generated Emails: You will receive a few system generated emails during your application process. They are listed below. Please do not reply to these emails, as they are meant to be reminders and notifications. The email address that you will receive emails from is [email protected].
- Reset Password - email instructions on how to reset your password
- Registration Confirmation - confirms your registration for a new account and allows you to start your HOPP Summer Student Program Online Application
- Application Complete - confirms that Program Administration has received your application and it will be reviewed.
- Application Deadline Reminders - Reminders will be sent to all those with pending applications encouraging them to submit their application before the deadline.
- Reference Letter Received - notifies you that a recommendation letter has been uploaded to your profile. Please note, you are not able to review your recommendation letters.