Cancer Biology & Genetics Program
The Richard White Lab
Zebrafish models of cancer
The zebrafish has emerged as a new model for studying cancer progression and metastasis. We have developed a transparent strain of zebrafish, called casper, that allows for single-cell imaging of how tumor cells interact with cells in the microenvironment. These cell-cell interactions play fundamental roles in shaping tumor cell behavior. Using a zebrafish model of melanoma, we use state of the art genetic engineering and high-resolution imaging to dissect these interactions. Our goal is to understand the mechanisms that allow tumors to successfully disseminate and take hold in new locations, which is the major cause of cancer mortality.
Richard White, MD, PhD
- Cancer biologist and oncologist Richard White uses the zebrafish to dissect interactions between tumor cells and the microenvironment that promote metastasis.
- Albany Medical College: M.D., Ph.D.
- Yale New Haven Hospital: Internal Medicine Residency & Chief Residency
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute & Massachusetts General Hospital: Medical Oncology Fellowship
- Children’s Hospital Boston & Harvard Medical School: Postdoctoral Fellowship
- NIH Directors New Innovator Award
- Young Mentor Award, Melanoma Research Alliance
- Young Investigator Award, American Association for Cancer Research/American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Young Mentor Award, Harvard Medical School
- Outstanding Educator Award, Yale School of Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine
Get in Touch
Doctors and faculty members often work with pharmaceutical, device, biotechnology, and life sciences companies, and other organizations outside of MSK, to find safe and effective cancer treatments, to improve patient care, and to educate the health care community.
MSK requires doctors and faculty members to report (“disclose”) the relationships and financial interests they have with external entities. As a commitment to transparency with our community, we make that information available to the public.
Richard White discloses the following relationships and financial interests:
N-of-One Therapeutics, Inc.
Provision of Services
The information published here is for a specific annual disclosure period. There may be differences between information on this and other public sites as a result of different reporting periods and/or the various ways relationships and financial interests are categorized by organizations that publish such data.
This page and data include information for a specific MSK annual disclosure period (January 1, 2019 through disclosure submission in spring 2020). This data reflects interests that may or may not still exist. This data is updated annually.