This information will help you with your telemedicine visit on MSK Telemedicine.Back to top
Connecting to Your MSK Telemedicine Visit
How will MSK send me a link to my MSK Telemedicine visit?
There are 3 ways we can send the link:
- Through email: If you don’t see the email in your inbox, check your junk or spam folders.
- On MyMSK: MyMSK is MSK’s patient portal. If you have a MyMSK account, you can join your telemedicine visit through MyMSK.
- By text message: If you get text messages from MSK, we’ll send the link by text.
When will MSK send me a link to my MSK Telemedicine visit?
We’ll send you a link 3 days before your telemedicine visit. We’ll send it again 2 hours before your telemedicine visit.
We’ll also email a link to any family or friends you invite to your telemedicine visit.
What if my telemedicine visit is in fewer than 3 days?
We’ll send you a link when you schedule your appointment. We’ll send it again 2 hours before your telemedicine visit.
What browser can I use to open the link?
We recommend using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Safari.
If my appointment time or date changes, will the “Add to calendar” invitation on MyMSK update automatically?
No, the invitation will not update by itself. You must make a new calendar invitation with the new appointment information.Back to top
Testing Your Settings
How do I test my audio and video settings?
You can test your microphone, speaker, camera, and network (Internet) settings before your telemedicine visit. Select the link for your appointment in MyMSK, or in the email or text message we sent you. Once you’re logged in, select “Complete a device check” under the Pre-Appointment To-Do List. You can also select the “Check Devices” button on the right side of your screen under Telemedicine Tips (see Figure 1).
When you’re in the virtual room, make sure your video is turned on and you aren’t muted. If your video is off or you’re muted, you’ll see the camera and microphone icons crossed out on the bottom of your screen (see Figure 2). Select the camera or microphone icons to turn them back on. If that doesn’t work, you may need to check that you haven’t blocked access to your camera or microphone in your device settings.
My care team can’t see or hear me. What should I do?
Follow the instructions on your screen that tell you what to do if your microphone or camera aren’t working. You can also try these tips:
- Check your camera and microphone settings on your web browser. Make sure you’ve given your web browser access to your camera and microphone. Use these links to check your settings:
- If you’re using Bluetooth headphones (including AirPods), switch to non-Bluetooth headphones or don’t use headphones.
- Close all other applications on your device that may be using your microphone and camera. This includes using your smartphone for a phone or video call other than your telemedicine visit.
- Use a different browser, such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.
- Use a different device.
- Update your phone software or your browser to the latest version.
- If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, make sure their software is updated to iOS 14.3 or higher. Click here to learn how to update iPhone or iPad software.
If you still need help, call 800-248-0593 and press 1 to reach the Telemedicine Help Desk. You can call them Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you’re joining your telemedicine visit on your smartphone, you can’t use that phone to call the Telemedicine Help Desk and join the appointment at the same time. If possible, try calling the help desk using a different phone.Back to top
Joining Your MSK Telemedicine Visit
Do I need to download software to join my MSK Telemedicine visit?
What devices can I use to join my MSK Telemedicine visit?
You can join on any smartphone, tablet, or computer that has Internet access and a camera. You can also use the audio dial-in information to join through a phone call. You and your healthcare provider will only be able to hear each other. You won’t be able to see each other.
When can I join my MSK Telemedicine visit?
Before your telemedicine visit starts, you can wait for your healthcare provider in the virtual room. The virtual room opens 45 minutes before your appointment time. If you open the link before then, you won’t see the virtual room. Instead, you’ll see a screen with information about your telemedicine visit. You can use the time to test your audio and video settings and invite your family and friends to join your telemedicine visit.
For more information about joining your telemedicine visit, read Getting Ready for Your MSK Telemedicine Visit.
Will my healthcare provider know I’m waiting in the virtual room?
Yes, your care team will see that you’ve joined your telemedicine visit. If your healthcare provider hasn’t joined after 10 minutes, you’ll get a notification on your screen letting you know there’s a delay. At the same time, we’ll also remind your care team that you’ve joined.
Can I talk with my family and friends in the virtual room before my telemedicine visit starts?
You can talk with them while you’re waiting, starting 45 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. Anyone who joins the virtual room with their camera and video on can see and talk with one another. If someone called using audio dial-in, they can hear and speak with others in the virtual room. You can also use the chat feature to chat with anyone who joined on a smartphone, tablet, or computer.
Can I leave my telemedicine visit and rejoin later?
Yes, you can join or rejoin your telemedicine visit until the end of your appointment time.
If I leave and rejoin, can I see my earlier chat history?
No. You can only see chat messages that were sent while you’re in the virtual room. If you leave and rejoin, your chat history will be cleared.Back to top
Inviting Family and Friends
How do I invite family and friends to my MSK Telemedicine visit?
You can invite them:
- By asking a member of your care team to invite them.
- By sending them the appointment link we sent you.
- From the virtual room before your telemedicine visit begins. Select the “Invite People” button.
- Through MyMSK. To do this, select the appointment from your MyMSK homepage and select “Add a Family/Friend to This Telemedicine Call” (see Figure 3).
Enter their name and their relationship to you, such as “friend” or “sibling.” Enter their email address.
If someone doesn’t have access to email or a device with a camera, they can still join your telemedicine visit by phone by calling in using the audio dial-in information that’s in the email we send you. This information is also available in the virtual room.
How many people can I invite to my telemedicine visit?
There is no limit. If you want to keep something private during the visit, let your healthcare team know before the visit starts.
How will the people I invite get the link to join?
We’ll email them an invitation.
Can anyone but me invite other people to join?
Only you and your healthcare team can invite people to join.Back to top