This information explains how to get ready for your MSK Telemedicine visit.Back to top
Getting Ready for Your Telemedicine Visit
Request an interpreter
If you would like to have an interpreter join your call, let the Office Coordinator know. For more information, read Tips for Using an Interpreter During Your Telemedicine Visit.
Sign a consent form
Before your telemedicine visit, you’ll need to sign a consent form explaining what you can expect from your telemedicine visit. You must sign this form on your own. Your caregiver won’t be able to sign the form for you.
Test your settings
Test your microphone, speaker, camera, and network (Internet) settings before your telemedicine visit. You can do this clicking the link for your appointment in MyMSK. You can also click the link in the email or text message we send you. Once you’re logged into your MSK Telemedicine visit, select the 3 dots at the bottom of the screen and select “Device Settings” (see Figure 1).
Add a family member, friend, or caregiver
If you’d like to have your family member, friend, or a caregiver join your call, you can invite them:
- By sending them the link we send you.
- By asking a member of your care team to invite them.
- From the virtual room before your telemedicine visit begins. Select the “Invite People” button. For more information, read the “Enter the virtual room” section of this resource.
- Through MyMSK by following the steps below.
How to invite a family member, friend, or caregiver through MyMSK
- Go to my.mskcc.org and log into your MyMSK account.
- In your appointments, select “More” (see Figure 2).
- Select “Show Details” (Figure 3).
- Select “Add a Family/Friend to This Telemedicine Call” (see Figure 4).
- Fill out the information and select “Add” and “Okay” (see Figure 5).
Joining Your Telemedicine Visit
Follow the steps in this section to start your telemedicine visit on MyMSK or through the email or text message we send you. You can join your telemedicine visit using your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
Joining through MyMSK
- Log into your MyMSK account by going to my.mskcc.org or by opening your MyMSK app
- If you plan to use your MyMSK app for your telemedicine visit, make sure you have the latest version of the app downloaded on your smartphone or tablet.
- If you don’t have a MyMSK account, you can visit my.mskcc.org, call 646-227-2593, or call your healthcare provider’s office for an enrollment ID. For more information about signing up for MyMSK, watch our video How to Enroll in MyMSK: Memorial Sloan Kettering's Patient Portal.
- If your caregiver manages your MyMSK account for you, ask them for your login information or have them help you.
- On your homepage, find the telemedicine visit you’re joining and select “Start Telehealth Visit” (see Figure 6).
- A screen will come up asking for access to your camera and microphone. Select “Allow” to let your healthcare provider see and hear you (see Figure 7).
Joining through text message
- If you get text messages from MSK, we’ll send you a text message with a link from MSK Telemedicine 3 days before your telemedicine visit. We’ll send the link again on the day of your telemedicine visit. When it’s time for your visit to start, tap the link in your text message.
- A screen will open in your web browser. Tap “I am the patient” and enter your date of birth. Tap “Continue” (see Figure 8).
Joining through email
- If you get emails from MSK, we’ll send you an email with a link from MSK Telemedicine 3 days before your telemedicine visit. We’ll send it again on the day of your telemedicine visit. When it’s time for your telemedicine visit to start, select the link in your email.
- A screen will open in your web browser. Select “I am the patient” and enter your date of birth. Select “Continue.”
Enter the virtual room
Before your telemedicine visit, you can wait for your healthcare provider in the virtual room. Starting about 45 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, you can join the virtual room by clicking your telemedicine visit link. As you wait for your healthcare provider, you can access MSK resources, test your settings, and invite family members and friends to your telemedicine visit right from the virtual room. When your healthcare provider is ready to see you, they’ll enter the virtual room.Back to top
Understanding the Buttons
You may need to use the buttons below during your telemedicine visit (see Figure 9).
- The invite people button allows you to invite friends or family members to the visit.
- The invite info button allows you to copy the link and information to call into the telemedicine visit.
- The check devices button allows you to test your microphone, speaker, camera, and network (Internet) settings.
- The take tutorial button will guide you through a tutorial of the features in the virtual room.
- The show video button switches your video on and off.
- The mute button mutes and unmutes your microphone. When you’re muted, your healthcare provider can’t hear you.
- The share screen button shares your screen with your healthcare provider. You can use this to show a picture or document to your healthcare provider.
- The leave visit button ends your telemedicine visit.
- The button with three dots displays your device setting and your appointment information.
- The chat button opens or hides the chat box.
- The participants button show a list of the people on the call and invited to the call. You can also invite friends or family members from this window.
- The resources button has helpful links to MSK resources.