Human Oncology & Pathogenesis Program
The Renier Brentjens Lab
My laboratory is focused on developing novel treatment approaches for certain leukemias and lymphomas utilizing the patient’s own immune system. Specifically this work involves the genetic manipulation of patients’ immune cells to recognize and kill their own cancer cells. This is a promising form of gene therapy.
In light of encouraging results in mouse studies, we are now testing this approach at Memorial Sloan Kettering in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia who are no longer responsive to chemotherapy. These highly innovative studies will hopefully result in a novel and successful treatment option for patients with certain forms of hematologic cancers.
Renier J. Brentjens, MD, PhD
Director, Cellular Therapeutics; Member in Human Oncology and Pathogenesis Program (HOPP)
- Physician-scientist Renier Brentjens develops novel immunotherapies for leukemias and lymphomas.
- MD, PhD, The State University of New York at Buffalo, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- [email protected]
- Email Address
- STRAP Supplemental Award, National Cancer Institute (2010-2013)
- William Lawrence Blanche Hughes Foundation Grant (2011-2016)
- CLL Global Research Foundation Grant (2009-2014) R01 Award, National Institutes of Health (2009-2014)
- Experimental Therapeutics Center Program Project Grant, National Institutes of Health (2009-2014)
- Geoffrey Beene Cancer Research Center Fund Award (2007-2009)
- Experimental Therapeutics Center Program Project Grant, National Institutes of HEalth (2005-2010)
- Clinical Investigator Award, Damon Runyon Foundation (2006-2011)
Get in Touch
Doctors and faculty members often work with pharmaceutical, device, biotechnology, and life sciences companies, and other organizations outside of MSK, to find safe and effective cancer treatments, to improve patient care, and to educate the health care community.
MSK requires doctors and faculty members to report (“disclose”) the relationships and financial interests they have with external entities. As a commitment to transparency with our community, we make that information available to the public.
Renier J. Brentjens discloses the following relationships and financial interests:
Gracell Biotechnologies Ltd.
Provision of Services
Intellectual Property Rights
The information published here is for a specific annual disclosure period. There may be differences between information on this and other public sites as a result of different reporting periods and/or the various ways relationships and financial interests are categorized by organizations that publish such data.
This page and data include information for a specific MSK annual disclosure period (January 1, 2020 through disclosure submission in spring 2021). This data reflects interests that may or may not still exist. This data is updated annually.